Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, seeks a Data and Graphics Reporter to pitch, report, and visualize data-driven stories that will inform and engage our readers.
You will work closely with reporters and editors to conceptualize and execute daily and long-term projects across Chalkbeat’s eight local bureaus and national desk. Recent projects include a revelatory piece on the effects of teacher turnover in Michigan, collaborative investigations into school enrollment declines and which students were able to return to school buildings, and creating a custom story experience for a special project. As part of the team that leads data analysis and creates graphics, you will also have plenty of opportunities to pitch data-driven projects.
This role involves a lot of collaboration and many opportunities to share data journalism tips, strategies, and knowledge with colleagues. We are looking for a team player who knows how to prioritize among multiple responsibilities, meets deadlines, and communicates clearly with coworkers. You should enjoy problem solving, from coming up with new ways to gather data from difficult sources to re-examining the most efficient methods of structuring an analysis.
This position will report to the Data Editor.
What will you be responsible for?
- Work with editors to conceptualize interactive or data-driven projects.
- Create clear and concise interactive graphics.
- Work with reporters to analyze data and find stories.
- Locate, compile, and interpret data-sets that shed light on national education policy trends and impact as well as district/school level operations.
- Hunt and retrieve public documents and data with other reporters.
- Assemble data and create databases from multiple sources.
- Analyze data and share findings with reporting partners and the public.
What background and skills do you have?:
- Experience as an editorial developer, data journalist, or interactive journalist.
- Experience with D3 and mapping tools, such as QGIS
- Experience acquiring and analyzing large data sets using spreadsheets, database managers, and various programming languages, such as Python or R.
- Working knowledge of Github.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools.
- Training in or working understanding of statistics.
- Experience collecting, interpreting, and cleaning data.
- Experience sketching and pitching visual ideas.
- Passion for local news and finding ways to increase our impact.
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Experience with the Adobe Suite.
- Experience building news apps.
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
This position can be based anywhere in the United States. If you prefer to work in an office (we’re currently all working remotely but plan to return to in-person office life this fall), you’re welcome to join us in one of the cities where Chalkbeat already has a presence: Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, New York City, or Washington, D.C.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Our organization is committed to antiracism, and our staff is taking part in ongoing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging work. Our leadership team of seven is 100 percent female and includes four women of color. Our overall Chalkbeat staff is 43 percent non-white.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in eight locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.