Realtor.com® Is Seeking a Full-Time, Data-Driven Journalist
The award-winning editorial team at Realtor.com is looking for a data journalist. We’re seeking an experienced news and/or business reporter who is comfortable working with data and spreadsheets as well as interviewing sources to report and write compelling stories about the housing industry. Candidates should be familiar with using SQL to query databases. Bonus points for candidates who can also visually present data clearly, complementing their written stories with clean and engaging maps, charts, graphs, and/or illustrations.
Our weekly reported data features are among the most popular stories on our site, providing guidance and entertainment to our millions of readers. Realtor.com is operated by News Corp, which also owns The Wall Street Journal, MarketWatch, and New York Post.
We report on news, trends, and celebrities in the real estate space. Our data stories range from insightful reports on the housing market to clickable pieces like the best places for different kinds of buyers. They also include in-depth features exploring more serious topics like President Trump’s real estate holdings and the impact that state marijuana legalizations have had on local real estate prices.
The best candidates will have the chops to get hands-on with real estate data and write up jargon-free stories based on the findings. They should also be comfortable working in Microsoft Excel.
- Pitch weekly real estate story ideas based on data
- Work with internal and external data to shape stories
- Research, report, and write stories
- Work with our art director and designers on the creation of data visualizations
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or related field (Preference for candidates who have completed a data journalism or data science program, certificate course, or training.)
- 5 years of relevant experience preferred, with a focus on news, business, and data-driven reporting
- Have a collection of published stories that demonstrate an ability to work with numbers and statistics
- Hands-on experience with SQL
- Familiarity with Python or R preferred
This is a full-time position that could be based in New York City; Santa Clara, CA; Los Angeles; Austin, TX; or remotely for the right candidate.
If you are interested in the position, please send a copy of your resume, a cover letter, and three to five published clips, preferably ones that incorporated data.
At realtor.com®, we believe that everyone deserves a home of their own. We’re a community of over 2,000 employees who work hard to ensure that from the moment someone starts dreaming about a new home, to the moment they walk in the door and beyond, we’re there to lend a helping hand. Every month, over 85 million people trust us with their journey home by visiting our site and mobile apps, and we’d love to have you join our team to help.
We’ve got great offices in the U.S. and Canada with lots of sweet jobs to choose from, so we’re hoping you’ll join us on our journey to make buying, selling, renting, and living in homes easier and more rewarding for everyone.
Let’s make a difference, together. For Real.